Monday, August 5, 2013

My greatest nightmare came to life this week.

Yep, it's true.
The nightmare that haunts my dreams most frequently actually happened this week.

It was terrifying.

What was my reaction, you ask?
First was about three seconds of shock. Then I thought I was going to cry. Then I told my companion and I burst out laughing because of course this nightmare would come true as soon as I'm on my mission and can't do anything about it.
I lost a tooth.

Okay, that was dramatic, I didn't really lose it. But like a quarter of it fell out! I won't go into details because it's kind of embarrassing, kind of gross. The only thing really to say about this is that I don't really know what you're supposed to do when something like this happens. But hey, you can't even see it, so #turntheothercheek
But hey everyone!!! Haha. It's been a great week to be a missionary.
Birthdays first! I know I keep slacking off on them! Happy birthday to Jenette Russell and Aunt Katie!!!!! I just love you both.
And I feel like I need to give a shout-out to (soon-to-be) Sister Nilsson! This is really belated, but OH MY GOSH NEW YORK. I'm going to start hearing all these stories from investigators (who think it's crazy we aren't up-to-date on the world, so they like giving us random news they hear) about New York being turned upside down because my main girl Quinnly is tearing it up over there!!! Quinn, what an amazing missionary you will be.

Fun fact, everyone. Listen up. My new companion, Sister Nelson, was in the same stake as me before both our families moved. We went to the same high school. We are Red Sox/Patriots fans because of our dads (hers still lives in Boston). We even had some of the same teachers. And now her mom lives a few minutes from my parents... AWESOME!!! Sister Nelson is SO GREAT and 

This week we were able to pick up two of our former investigators, Samantha and Linda, and commit them to baptism again for September 28! It's been a series of miracles to get them to this point, and I have seen so clearly God's hand in preparing them. Linda (11) testified to Samantha (her mother) at the end about the Lord's timing in sending the missionaries. They both have testimonies, and I'm impressed by their deep humility and earnestness. We just called Dawn to see how she was doing and she told us that this morning when she was reading the Book of Mormon, she couldn't put it down for hours because she was reading about Ammon.

I love this gospel.

We've been doing a lot of knocking (or "tracting," as every mission but ours calls it:)) and it's been draining, but good! We had to drop our investigator, Misty, who we got on date last week, but it's alright, she just wasn't prepared yet. It's been an overall amazing, difficult week, and I LOVE it.

I've memorized a quote by Joseph Smith, and it's been stuck in my head recently. The last two weeks have been really crazy because everything's changed with exchanges. It's been pretty tough. But having this running through my head all the time makes me a little less discouraged and a little more hopeful:
The standard of truth has been erected.
No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing.

Persecutions may rage.

Mobs may combine.

Armies may assemble.

Calumny may defame.

But the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent.

Till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear.

Till the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the Great Jehovah shall say, "The work is done."
Being the Lord's servant is hard, and it's miraculous, and it's a privilege. I know I've been called of God, but through the discouraging times it's nice to remember that "no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing." On a mission, I've been yelled at, I've been glared at, I've been mocked, I've been laughed at. I'm rejected, I'm despised. And yet I feel honoured because I'm wearing Christ's name physically and figuratively over my heart and this is exactly what He experienced too. He has chosen me to represent Him. How great is my calling!
I love and miss you all!

Soeur Lewis (or as I hear a lot around here, "Sir Lois")

No comments:

Post a Comment