Monday, October 13, 2014

Je sais qu'il vit, mon Redempteur

Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote of the week (Sister Bowden):

Sister Bowden: "OH MY GOSH your whole family is emailing me!!!"
[she then proceeded to read me my own embarrassing stories that my family decided to send... you crazy Lewis clan:)]

MAN. Time is FLYING eh?! I'm kind of shocked. When I look back to specific moments towards the beginning of my mission, it feels like ages ago, but when I look at my mission as a whole, it's felt very quick. I bore my testimony for the last time in sacrament meeting yesterday (my last Fast Sunday since November's Fast Sunday will be Stake Conference). It's just been a little bit crazy and fast.

Mary-Elizabeth Dickens*  is on date for November 5! She is getting baptized the same day as two of our other investigators--Sam Winters* and Greg Black*. It's been so humbling to see the power of the testimonies of members here because each of them has strong ties to members in the ward and that is the reason they are investigating and progressing so well towards baptism.

Mary-Elizabeth was at the bus stop one morning, on her way to school (Holland College) when a guy her age came to the same bus stop and asked her a question about how the bus system worked. It turned out both of them were going to the same school and it was their first day. They started talking a lot more and he kept bringing up his beliefs to her over the following week or two until she was finally intrigued and asked to come to church with him. So he called us up and let us know he was bringing his friend to church the next day and we were sprinting down the street and jumping out of excitement. This was in mid-September. She came to church the following 3 weeks (including General Conference), met with us several times with her member friend who introduced her to he church and the missionaries (his name is Tim), and has been recognizing answers to her prayers, after coming from a background where she wasn't sure who God was and not really going to church at all. It is really touching seeing her testimony grow.

Greg is a 10-year-old boy actually, and his mother is cousins with a member in the ward. The elders knocked on their door one night, and when Greg looked around his mom and saw that it was the elders, he ran to grab his shoes and come outside and told the elders he wanted to get baptized to make it to the Celestial Kingdom! Umm ok sure we can do that for you. We've been teaching him and he's been a rockstar--he knows everything already and has wise perspectives on things most adults don't. His mom Katie* has a lot of addictions and has been wanting us to focus on Greg right now, but she surprised us Sunday by showing up to church on her own (Greg was at his dad's) with a huge smile on her face. She plopped down next to me and said, "Today is a good day." I asked her why it was so good and she said, "I don't know, I just woke up earlier than I expected today, at 9:30, and thought, 'There's a reason God woke me up right now,' so I walked to church." And for you Utahns, WALKING TO CHURCH IN ATLANTIC CANADA IS ACTUALLY A SACRIFICE haha. It's a huge deal! So I told her she was exactly where God wanted her to be and asked her how she got the strength and desire to walk all the way to church. She couldn't stop smiling (for the rest of church actually) and said, "You can do whatever if you realize you want it enough." What a powerful example of FAITH!! She's stunning.

Since today is Thanksgiving, I thought I'd write about what I am the very most grateful for: the Lord Jesus Christ.

I"m grateful for my mission because it's after serving side-beside the Saviour that I feel like I've come to know Him and understand His love a little more. Elder Holland said it well:

"I am convinced that missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience. Salvation never was easy. We are The Church of Jesus Christ, this is the truth, and He is our Great Eternal Head. How could we believe it would be easy for us when it was never, ever easy for Him? It seems to me that missionaries and mission leaders have to spend at least a few moments in Gethsemane. Missionaries and mission leaders have to take at least a step or two toward the summit of Calvary.

"Now, please don't misunderstand. I'm not talking about anything anywhere near what Christ experienced. That would be presumptuous and sacrilegious. But I believe that missionaries and investigators, to come to the truth, to come to salvation, to know something of this price that has been paid, will have to pay a token of that same price."

I just can't help but feel SO GRATEFUL that the Lord has chosen me to stand in His place here. He has had to stand in my place and take the consequences for my own mistakes so many times.

It has been ridiculously difficult to stand in His place at times--in fact, most of the time--but I'm grateful because getting a tiny taste of what the Saviour's ministry and Atonement must have been like makes it so much more real and so much more meaningful.

One of my favourite hymns describes it well (but again, it's one of the hymns I prefer in French). I'll try to translate the verses as close as possible:

I know that my Redeemer lives!
How these words warm my heart!
He lives, He who gave His life,
He lives, of an infinite life.
He lives, His love He gives me.
He lives, so that my God forgives me.
He lives! My soul knows Him well!
He lives! Without Him, I'd have nothing.

He lives, to grant me His help.
He lives, to guide me always.
He lives to help my weaknesses.
He lives! to drive away my sadness.
He lives to appease my worries.
He lives, to listen to my complaints.
He lives, to calm my troubled heart.
He lives, through Him I am filled.

He lives, my wise, divine friend.
He lives, His love is endless.
He lives! His glory I repeat.
He lives! my prince and my prophet!
He lives! and through Him I breathe.
He lives! death can't harm me.
He lives, prepares my stay.
He lives, and guides me there by love.

He lives, He has supreme glory!
He lives, Jesus always the same.
How these words warm my heart,
"I know that my Redeemer lives!"
He lives! He has supreme glory!
He lives, Jesus always the same.
How these words warm my heart,
"I know that my Redeemer lives!"

I love that song!!! I am so grateful for my Saviour and that I get to represent Him right now!! I am so blessed. Yesterday in church I learned that in 1957, Canada started celebrating Thanksgiving to "give thanks to the Almighty God." I found that powerful that not too long ago, Canada decided to create this holiday just to thank our Almighty God. I am grateful for Him for giving us His Son.

Sister Lewis

(Sister Lewis didn't send any photos this week, but her companion did!)

"we ran over a skunk and so our car stunk really bad"

"us at the ocean"

No comments:

Post a Comment