Monday, December 23, 2013

Happy Christmas, Harry!

My one and only Christmas in the mission field! I'm actually pretty bummed that I don't get more than this one, because I'm absolutely happy being able to testify of the Saviour daily over here in Canada. Can't think of a better way to spend Christmas. Did I ever tell you I love being a missionary? Because I do, with my whole heart.

First, a shout-out to Elder Annen.... WELCOME HOME:) I hear you eat only rice and are trying to teach your dog Korean... thanks for just adding to the stereotype that missionaries come home super weird. Thanks a lot.

Quotes of the week:
1. This isn't a funny one, just a touching one, from a less active I absolutely adore--"The most important thing for the world to know is that Heavenly Father super loves us."

2. While doing language study with Sister Vera (and sorry if you don't speak French, you won't get it)--
Sister Vera: "Comment dit-on 'anana' au pluriel en englais?"
Me: "Ummm... Pineapples?"
Sister Vera: "Ugh! You messed it up! Most people say 'Ananas!'"
Me: (laughing) "Ok, how do you say 'pen' in plural in French?"
Sister Vera: "Les stylos."
Me: "Ahhh you got it!"
Sister Vera: "Sister Lewis, we are too smart to tell grammar jokes."

I love ma colleague missionaire!

This morning during personal study, I read over my notes from one of President Monson's talks in October General Conference. Here are some thoughts I studied and loved.

1. "Shall I falter, or shall I finish?"
This is one that I apply a lot to missionary work now ("Heavenly Father, we've set a goal of inviting 210 people to learn more about Thy gospel this week. We know that this goal is righteous and we feel it is inspired. Not many people are outside tonight. We are willing to do the work, so please bless us as we try to reach this goal."). But I also apply this principle to life in general. God expects us to do certain things--usually things that are not easy. But, shall I falter or shall I finish? Shall I let this trial consume me, or shall I finish? I love that it is purely our decision. We choose to falter. Wechoose to win, we choose to succeed, we choose to finish.

2. "The stronger the wind, the stronger the tree."
How comforting is it to know that God is always the one sending us the wind to see if we will still choose to grow strong. I love the peace that comes from knowing that God is on our side, that He's giving us the hard times because He loves us, and that He's waiting for us to rely on Him to make us strong through the wind. I'm still a pretty weak tree, but it's not the lack of wind that makes me stronger--it's the wind God sends my way. I love that He loves us enough to send us the wind so we can be happier and stronger.

3. Job 19:25-26: "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God."
Just think about Job's story--God gave him so much adversity. His best friends and all his family didn't recognize him or remember him. His children hated him. He lost his home and everything he had. He lost more than most of us had, at least more than I have. And yet he never once doubted. Through it all, when it seemed God had forgotten him, Job still says, "I know that my redeemer liveth." I aspire to have Job's faith, to know that even though days get hard, Christ lives. And I know that He does live.

I love you all and hope you have a perfectly Christ-centered Christmas:)

Love love love,

Sister Lewis

Sister Lewis didn't send any photos this week, but someone in Canada took some photos of her and emailed them to me!  



Also, there is a facebook page for Mormons of Atlantic Canada and on that page there was a post about the Christmas zone conference.
Each year at Christmas the Canada Halifax Mission has a special Christmas zone conference for the missionaries serving within the mission. The zone conference in addition to instruction and inspiration, has beautiful food provided by the faithful members and a fun talent show with a white Elephant gift auction. Even Santa Claus and his faithful elf makes and appearance.


Sister Lewis is in the front row on the far right.  Her companion is fourth from the left in the same row.



No comments:

Post a Comment